The Coconut Grove Playhouse exemplifies the historical, cultural, economic and social trends of Coconut Grove during the 1920s. The building, designed in a “Spanish Baroque” Mediterranean Revival style by Kiehnel and Elliott Architects, was originally constructed as a movie theater in 1926 as a part of Paramount Pictures and for over fifty years was known as one of the nation’s leading theatres. With a combination of $20 million in bond proceeds and controlling interest in the Coconut Grove Playhouse, Miami-Dade County has revitalization plans for the Playhouse, which has remained closed since 2006.
Recently, the Miami-Dade Commissioners approved a plan for a smaller 300-seat theater that, if implemented, will drastically alter the existing 1,150 seat theater. The plans for a significantly smaller theater almost certainly ensures that the majority of the building will demolished, including the existing historic interior.