This Mediterranean Revival masterpiece was built in 1925 by William John Howey, using a female architect Katherine Cotheal Budd. The house has twenty rooms and 6,000 square feet on almost 4 acres of land in the town that bore the owner’s name. The masonry home is comprised of two stories over a basement and is surrounded by walled gardens that also enclose several outbuildings including the family mausoleum where Mr. Howey and his family are buried. The property has been placed on the National Register of Historic Places #83001426.
The property is significant for many reasons. It is a high style example of Mediterranean Revival architecture, was built during the land boom, was designed by a female architect, is associated with notable individuals and remains largely in original condition in its original setting. The home features extensive cast stone work on the exterior, while the interior features, stained glass, a magnificent entry hall with marble walls and a marble staircase topped by a domed ceiling, several carved stone fireplaces, extensive use of pecky cypress, custom ironwork, original sconces, period bathrooms, a hidden staircase and large basement safe, just to name a few highlights. The site is threatened by foreclosure proceedings and remains vacant with no maintenance and exposure to vandalism. The threat from deferred maintenance is significant as there are broken windows and leaky roofs. There is strong community support for the preservation of this site but it is still in private hands through the long foreclosure procedures.